Steamed chicken, just like its name, is chicken that is seasoned lightly with salt and steamed on a rack for 16 mins and then glazed and served with a side of green onion and ginger sauce. I know what ya’ll are thinking. Fried chicken is comfort food. Roast chicken is comfort food. But I’m here to tell you that it’s all about steamed chicken. Steamed chicken doesn’t have any seasonings other than the green onion and ginger sauce, and so you can truly taste the essence of the chicken flavor.
Whole Free Range Chicken (Preferable)
1 Tablespoons of Salt
Ginger and Green Onion Sauce (薑茸)
1 sprig of green onion
2 thumb size ginger
3 tablespoon of oil (vegetable or corn oil preferable)
1. Sharpen your knife first before you start chopping the chicken
2. Wash the chicken with cold water and then dry the chicken with a paper towel
3. If chicken comes with head and chicken feet, chop both off first.
4. Chop the head of the chicken and discard.
5. Chop the neck and place it on steaming plate
6. Bending the feet backwards and exposing the joint makes it easier to chop off
7. Chop the chicken feet where the cartilage is between the chicken feet and drumstick
8. Apply salt all over the chicken generously
9. Pour 3 cups of water in wok with steaming rack and turn heat on high heat until water boils
10. Place chicken on a steaming flat plate, place a spoon underneath the chicken to let it come off the plate a little. (this helps the steam get through to the bottom side of the chicken)
11. Place the chicken breast side up
12. After water is boiling in wok, place chicken in the wok and turn down the heat to medium
13. Steam chicken for 16 minutes.
14. While chicken is steaming, make the ginger and green onion sauce
15. Pour juices from chicken in a bowl. Reserve for chicken stock use
16. Chop chicken on a cutting board. (Reference my guide to chopping chicken)
17. Serve Chicken with Ginger and Green Onion Sauce on the side.
Ginger and Green Onion Sauce
18. Peel Ginger until there’s no skin left
19. Grate the ginger in a grater and put in a bowl
20. Cut top and ends of green onion and discard
21. Chop green onion in ½ cm increments
22. Place ginger and green onion in a bowl and mix well
23. Put salt in the bowl
24. Boil oil at high heat in a pan for a few minutes
25. When the pan starts steaming, pour hot oil into a bowl of ginger and green onion.
26. Mix with chopsticks and serve with chicken
Keywords: Steam Chicken