Claypot rice is the perfect meal on those particularly cold winter nights when you’re feeling lazy and you just want to throw everything together in one pot. The smell of sweet and savory Chinese sausage mixed with the subtle smokiness of the charred rice is deliciously addicting.
1. Rinse rice 3 times to clean. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
2. After 30 mins, rinse out water. Using a rice cooker pot to measure, add rice and water until it reaches just under the 1 mark. After water is measured, pour rice and water mixture into a claypot.
3. Pour 1 tbsp of oil in the claypot to evenly coat the bottom.
4. Slice cured pork belly and sausages. Rinse choy sum in water and cut into 2 or 3-inch increments.
5. Bring the claypot to a boil on high heat. Once water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low for 10 minutes, before closing the lid.
6. After 10 minutes, carefully place cured meat, sausage, and choy sum on top of the rice. After that, close the lid, turn up the heat back up to high, and wait to hear the crackling sound of rice crisping up.
7. After about 3-4 minutes of crackling, rice is ready to be served.
If you do use a claypot, warm up your pot for a few minutes before cooking, because sudden temperature changes can crack a claypot.
Keywords: Chinese Claypot Rice with Sausages