This black pepper crab isn’t the one you might think. Its not a dry seasoned crab with salt and pepper. It is a saucy black pepper paste that weaves in and out of the shells of a crab. Combined with the fresh seafood texture of a crab, this dish is a dynamic combination and seriously addicting.
1. Use a kitchen mallet to smash black peppercorns and transfer black peppercorns to a mortar pestle.
2. Using a pestle, keep grinding the peppercorns and make sure all peppercorns are a least broken down to a third of a piece.
3. Heat a wok in medium heat until warm. Add in ground peppercorns, salt, soy sauce, water, and butter mixture in wok. Close lid.
4. Around 7-10 minutes, open the lid to check if the sauce has thickened. Once sauce is thickened to a paste, add in sugar, and stir to taste.
5. Add in crab legs and body and mix well to incorporate in sauce.
6. After about a minute, place the head of the crab on top of the body, and close the lid to steam.
7. Wait 5 more minutes for the crab to steam and cook through. Once the crab color turns red, the crab is cooked.
8. Serve immediately with sauce.
Keywords: Singapore Black Pepper Crab